"Painting from life creates an intimacy with the subject that I just can't get from a photograph, and it heightens my sense of spontaneity. That energy is translated to the canvas in and out of the studio."
Anne Blair Brown was born in North Kingstown, Rhode Island and currently resides in Nashville, TN. Her work centers on both rural and urban landscapes, people, and interior spaces. While she enjoys the quiet solitude of her studio, she delights in painting on location. Brown says, "Painting from life creates an intimacy with the subject that I just can't get from a photograph, and it heightens my sense of spontaneity. That energy is translated to the canvas in and out of the studio."
Groups and Organizations
Anne Blair Brown is past president of the Plein Air Painters of the Southeast and a Signature Member of both The Oil Painters of America and the American Impressionist Society. She is also an active member of The Cumberland Society of Painters and The Chestnut Group, a nonprofit group of artists dedicated to preserving endangered ecosystems, historic locales, and aesthetically and environmentally significant places.
- Silver Anniversary Award of Excellence, Oil Painters of America National Juried Exhibition 2016
- 1st Place, Art Muse Contest February 2016 , Master Class
- 2nd Place, Oil Painters of America 2015 Easter Regional Exhibition
- 2nd Place, Oil Painters of America Online Summer Showcase
- Still Life Award of Excellence, 23rd Annual Oil Painters of America 2014 National Exhibition
- 1st Place, Building Category, Plein Air Salon, Spring 2014
- Plein Air Magazine Award of Excellence, American Impressionist Society 14th Annual National Juried Exhibition, 2013
- Artists' Choice Award, 2013 Los Gatos Plein Air Festival
- Third Place, 2013 Wayne PA Plein Air Festival
- Honorable Mention, OPA Online Showcase 2013
- 22nd Annual Oil Painters of America 2013 National Exhibition